Monday, September 23, 2013

deFEETed.

A week ago I ran my 21 mile dress rehearsal along the Boston Marathon course.  I ran it in a pace that would lead me to my goal of a sub four hour marathon.  For most of the run I felt great.  It was the first long run where I didn't listen to an IPod.  I focused on my breathing and my steps.  I let the occasional song sneak into my thoughts and then fought to change the mental channel.  I visualized finishing the Chicago Marathon with a new PR.

The next day my foot was sore and past thoughts of my plantar faciitis crept into my psyche.  I took the week off from running and stuck to my strength training classes.  Then on Friday I decided to attempt a 5k, still on a sore foot.  Half way through the run I experienced a sharp pain that I ran through until the end, logging a 5k in just under 25 minutes.  It's been 3 days since I ran.  I've had moments where I could barely walk, and other moments where I didn't feel a thing.  I have less than 3 weeks to recover.

The last time my plantar flared up it took almost 4 months to heal, but 4 months is not an option.  I have 20 days, and I will run.  I've worked too hard over the last 4 months not to race, but my focus will shift from a sub 4 to finishing my 7th marathon.  I'm mentally trying to prepare for 26 miles of pain.  I know I can do it, but my fear is what may come as a result.  Last time my body tried to compensate for the foot pain I developed knee problems and landed in physical therapy for an entire training season.  It's hard to run through the pain without altering the stride.  And for those of you that have never experienced plantar faciitis I can describe it in two ways.  Sometimes it feels like there's a golf ball stuck under the skin, right at the arch.  Other times the skin of the arch feels so tight that it feels like it's going to tear.  Either way, it's not pleasant.

I'm not writing this blog as a "poor me".  I'm writing this blog to admit that this is my own fault.  I dish out advise and words of encouragement all the time.  I tell people to make sure they don't over train and preach about the importance of using the foam roller.  I am a hypocrite and I have nobody to blame but myself.  I didn't stay consistent with my PT exercises.  I got lazy with my foam rolling.  I didn't break in my new shoes early enough.  Here's me telling all of you - stick to your plan!

Over the next 3 weeks I will not run.  My plan is to hit the elliptical and keep up the cardio.  My plan is to be dedicated to a healthy diet and not gain unnecessary weight.  My plan is ice 3 times a day and roll my hamstrings and calves every night.  My plan is stay positive and recognize that finishing a marathon in any time is something to be proud of.  Ultimately my plan is to be healed and finish the Chicago Marathon in 3:55.

Until then I'll live vicariously through my twitter feed and all the relaxing, record breaking runs I've been reading about.  Run on!

No comments:

Post a Comment