Sunday, July 14, 2013

We're not handed tomorrow, so live for today.

3 Doors Down has been my favorite band since my freshman year of college in 2000.  I spent that summer going to several free shows in Providence and Boston when the song their best known for, Kryptonite, first got big.  I continued to see them throughout college as open acts, until they gained enough popularity to start headlining and co-headlining their own tours with bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Many of my friends would question my passion for the band, but it was something about their stage presence and humble demeanor that made the appealing.  They seemed honest and sincere and I could relate to so many of the lyrics in their songs through my ups and downs over the last decade.

Over the years I've met them several times at meet and greets, or after shows.  My most memorable encounter was December 2011 at the Lansdown Pub in Boston.  Brad Arnold, the lead singer, and Chris Henderson, the lead guitarist, had just played an acoustic set for Mix 104.1's holiday concert.  After the show I was approached by Brad, thanking me for knowing the lyrics to his songs and enjoying the show.  These two guys have been idols of mine since I was 18 years old, so just a simple conversation was enough to leave me star struck.

As I've said over and over again, since the Boston Marathon bombings my outlook on how to approach life has changed.  I've thought a lot about how I'd want others to remember me, and how I can inspire and have an impact on others in my life.  My involvement with Tedy's Team has only gotten stronger and fueled with more passion.  My devotion to church and learning more about my faith has increased.  The realization of how blessed I am to have such an amazing family, a job I enjoy, and a great group of friends has kept me grounded.  And then, there's something I can sum up with some 3DD lyrics, "We're not handed tomorrow, so I'll live for today."  Bad things happen, but so don't good things.  If there's something you've want in life and it won't hurt someone else, go for it.

When I learned 3DD was playing Boston on July 12th, I went for it.  I reached out to Brad and asked if he'd have any interest in taking a run through the city.  I never expected to hear back, but I did, almost immediately.  I never thought he'd follow through, as there was 2 months between my original message and the date of the show, but he did.  Not only that, but so did Chris.  On a side note I have been corresponding with Chris for the past year over twitter.  He's been an incredible inspiration as I've watched him take control of his life through diet, exercise, and sobriety.

I asked Brad before our run why he said yes, and honestly I can't even remember his answer at this point, but what I remember him saying is that if he makes a commitment to someone, he follows through.  Walking back stage to meet Brad I was nervous.  I figured I'd make a complete ass of myself, probably asking dumb questions and leaving him counting the seconds until he could figure out how to end the awkwardness, but it was nothing like that.  As Brad and Chris put it, they are just two regular rednecks.  And, as most of you know, I've spent the last two years becoming a redneck.  The camo glasses say it all...

I'm going to spare a lot of the details because honestly what the day turned out to be was just 3 guys taking a run through the city of Boston.  As most of my running friends can attest to, the conversations you have while running are about as honest of a conversation as you'll ever have.  I asked very little about the band, we talked more about our families and a lot about our training and exercise routines.  Turns out our 3.5 mile run ended up being Brad's longest.  We talked a lot about marathon running and the Nashville Half that I'll be running at the end of April.  Both Chris and Brad peaked an interest, and I'd love to say I inspired them to give it a go, as their lyrics have inspired me over the years, but we'll have to see.

At the end of the run we had parted ways, but not before they gave me a contact for some (unsolicited) seat upgrades.  And not before I did ask them for one favor.  I had brought Brad a few Boston Strong t-shirts, as well as a Tedy's Team shirt, as a thank you for getting together, but I had also bought one and asked if the band could autograph it for a raffle prize.  They graciously accepted, but of course like an idiot, I forgot to drop it off before the show.  I did end up getting it back with Brad's signature and Chris Daughtry, and I fully intend to still raffle it off with the help of 3DD Nation to raise money for Tedy's Team.

Before going back to the venue for the show that night I exchanged several text message with Brad.  The first from him, thanking me for the run.  Humbling, to say the least.  Here I was just finishing up a run with two artists that I've idolized for 13 years, and I was the one getting the thank you.  I have no idea if I'll ever have the opportunity to speak to Brad or Chris like this anytime in the future, but I hope I do.  If not, I hope they realize that they gave me one of the most memorable runs of my life.  I cannot thank them enough.  So often you hear stories of people meeting their idols and being completed disappointed in their demeanor.  I have the pleasure to say that 3 of the people I've idolized (Brad, Chris, and of course Tedy Bruschi) have given me the opportunity to not only get to know them on a personal level, but get to know them through my passion for running.

This was truly one of those moments that I'll look back on throughout my life and realize how blessed I have been and continue to be.  And if Brad and Chris do by some chance read this, and they are serious about the Nashville Half, you don't have to tell me twice.

For those of my friends that have questioned my devotion to 3DD and their music, you can stop now.

------------------------

The official fundraising for my 2014 season is underway.  I continue to run as a member of Tedy's Team - raising funds and awareness to fight stroke.  I run in honor of my father, my uncle, and so many of my family and friends that have been impacted.  This year I'll run the Falmouth Road Race, Chicago Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, Boston Marathon and Nashville Half Marathon.  Please take a moment to visit my site, and while there feel free to make a donation to a great cause:

No comments:

Post a Comment