Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The end result, Katie, Amy & My tweetathon

Today I did one of my last hill runs before Boston.  It went well, but man was it freezing outside!  I cut it a little short and only did about 2 miles of hills as opposed to 3, but I think I'm okay with that.  After the run I spoke to one of my trainers at the gym (Jess) about my weight and measurements.  When I started this journey back at the beginning of December I posted all of my stats so that I could look back and see where I made the biggest strides.  I'm contemplating having my measurements taken again tomorrow morning to see if I've made the progress I set out to make 4 months ago.

There's an upside and a downside to doing this tomorrow.  1.  If I didn't come as far as I'd like I'm going to be discouraged and I don't want that to shape the next 3 weeks of training leading up to the marathon.  2.  If I see a change and I'm happy with it, will it give me the extra motivation I need to be disciplined and allow me to enjoy the next 3 weeks?  Tomorrow morning we'll see which direction I go, until now I'll sleep on it.

Yesterday I ended my blog saying I wanted to say something about Katie and Amy.  So, now that the excitement of the 3DD tour is behind me I can talk about that.  Katie has been an incredible support system for me for years, but especially the last four months.  Going on this journey together we've been able to keep each other in check.  Katie helps me to realize there are going to be ups and downs, but I need to have an in between too.  It's been incredible watching her grow over the past few months as well.  She looks amazing and I couldn't be more proud of her for all the hard work she's done.  She's been taking a revabs class 3-4 nights a week for the past month and is taking it throughout May.  I know it's been difficult for her having time away from me and Paige at night, but I can see what a difference it's made in her.  She's stronger and more confident.  Just last week she ran a personal best in a half marathon, just under 2:02.  Unfortunately, I rubbed off a little on her as well.  At the end she was disappointed she didn't get under 2:00, even though she took about 5 minutes off her last PR.

Amy has been an awesome running partner during the long Saturday training runs.  Amy and I often start off at the same pace and keep each other entertained during the long miles.  We sometimes split up into the run, but only for the last leg of it.  It's been incredible motivation.  Amy has helped me realize I can come close to beating 4:00 for the marathon, when originally I was aiming for 4:15.  She recently got sidelined with an injury, but should be up and ready to go on 4/16.  The past few long runs have been tough without her.  She helps me keep my pace and push through the always uncomfortable beginning of my runs.  It's been great getting to know her better over the past 4 months and I hope even after the marathon she'll considering hitting the road with me every few weeks.  I'm asking everyone that believes out there to say some prayers and send her some well wishes.  Katie and I need her out there with us on 4/16.  The 3 of us are a team.  We've done all the fundraising and training together and it won't be nearly as rewarding if we don't all cross that finish line on 4/16.

Finally, Matt reminded me that I got a PR in a half marathon a few weeks ago and failed to ever bring it up, so here I am bringing it up.  I set out to run a nice relaxing 13 miler.  I had no intent on getting a record and just wanted to enjoy the beautiful weather and get the run in.  I even took my phone so I could tweet every few miles and take some pictures along the course.  I was completely relaxed.  It was a good lesson... take a step back.  Don't take everything too serious and remember to enjoy the run.  Although I don't plan on taking my phone with me on Marathon Monday I do want to enjoy every mile.

20 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment