Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How it all began...

Today as I finished up a 4 mile hill run I was walking back to the gym and saw the first crocus of the year.  Personally, I hate these flowers.  They last about a day and then they die, but they remind me of a friend's mother, Alice.  She always loved them because they were the first real sign of spring.  I had been wanting to write this blog for a while and seeing that first flower told me today was a good day.

In 2006 I was watching one of my close friends, Meghan, go through a very difficult time.  Katie and I had only know Meghan for a few short years, but she was the type of friend we knew would do anything for us and we wanted to return the favor.  Both of Meghan's parents were battling Leukemia and no matter how much we wanted to help her get through the tough time it was just one of those moments where you can never find the words to say and comfort.

This is when Katie that came up with the idea to join Team in Training and train for a half marathon while raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I hated the idea of running, I was overweight and had never run more than 3 miles before in my life, but it seemed like the perfect way to show Meghan that although our words couldn't express it, we were there to do whatever we could to help her.

We ran with Team in Training for two years.  During the first year I hated every minute of it.  I hated to run on a schedule, I wanted to do it on my own time.  I was slow and every training run hurt like hell.  Our first year we ran the San Diego Half Marathon and the second year we ran the Mayor's Half-Marathon in Anchorage Alaska (Katie did the full).  It was during my training for the second run that I really started to enjoy what I was doing, not so much the running part, but the fundraising.  We ended up throwing a big fundraiser at a local bar in Worcester and having a drawing for some great prizes.  A local band came to lend their support and a ton of our friends, family, and co-workers came to spend $$.  Katie and I ended up raising close to $20k that year.  It was an amazing feeling to know that we were helping a great cause and supporting a friend at the same time.

Unfortunately just days before we ran the second run Meghan's mom passed away.  I was in Alaska at the time of the funeral.  It was difficult, but it gave the run a new meaning.  I felt a true sense of purpose when I was running and I called Meghan and spoke to her on the phone during the last leg of the race and as I crossed the finish line.  I'll never forget that moment.  "This is for your mom, Meg!"  I have a photo of myself crossing the finish line while on the phone hanging in my basement.  I love to look back and remember that moment, even though I know it was such a difficult time for my friend.

I owe a lot of my passion for running and fundraising to the McCann clan.  Although I no longer run for Team in Training, I think of Alice a lot while I'm out running and always remember why I started this incredible journey.  The McCanns will always be very special to me, and in the future to Paige - Meg is her godmother after all.

Now although I'm no longer running for Team in Training Meghan's brother-in-law and Alice and Bill's son-in-law, Brain is competing in the 2012 Ironman in their memory.  Brian is raising money for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.  He's currently running a fundraiser for a March Madness.  If you have an extra $20 sign up and help him out!

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/33856/invitation?key=e6df8859dad34364

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for everything Dan. You and Katie have been amazing friends and your support has been constant. I promise to cheer you on (at the correct mile mark) this year!!

    ReplyDelete