Friday, April 13, 2012

My journey to Boston...

Last blog I talked about how I couldn't do a thing about the weather and I'd stop worrying about it.  I lied.  The heat is expected to break some records on Monday, which would be awesome if I wasn't running 26.2 miles.  It's time to readjust the running plan along with 27,000 other runners.

When I first started writing this blog my goal was to improve upon my 2011 finish of 4:32 and end at or around 4:15.  It looks like with the circumstance of the heat my new goal is to just get a PR, 4:31 will even do.  Now, all this could change when I'm in the moment.  But ultimately with all the warnings we've been sent by the BAA and our coaches I just need to be smart and responsible.  My plan is to remember I'm trying to set an example for my Paigey and that there's someone a few strides behind me that needs me as much as I need her (I'm talking about my wife for those of you that didn't pick up on that, Matt).  26.2 miles is an accomplishment no matter what the time, and being able to say we raised $18k on top of running just makes it that much better.

For those of you out there cheering me on know that I'm doing the best I can on Monday for me, for you, and for a great cause.  Say a few prayers the temperature doesn't get too out of control and that the runners finish safely.  I know I'll have lots of you cheering me on in Natick, at heartbreak hill, and at Boston College.  I won't object to any of you having nice cold bottles of water, Powerade, and salt packets.  I can't wait to see all of you, it makes a world of difference to have a cheering squad out on the course.  One of you may even be lucky enough to get tossed my incredibly sweaty hat if it becomes uncomfortable to wear.  I also know I'll have 3 close friends cheering me on out in California, so when the 3 of you get those text message alerts rest assure that I didn't pass out!

I'd love to say this is it, I've come to terms with the weather and I won't stress out about it over the next two days, but that'd be a lie.  If it wasn't the weather, I'd be stressing out about something else.

Just in case I don't get a chance to write another blog before Monday.  To my wife:  I'm incredibly proud of how far you've come over the past five months.  You've pushed yourself like I've never seen before with your Revabs class and long distance training.  Seeing you finish New Bedford with a PR was incredible, and I hope I'm able to get to a spot to watch you finish your first Boston Marathon.  I know you'll do great and I know you'll make Paigey and I proud.  You've quietly sat back while I've bragged and boasted about my training, while in the mean time you've shaved a ton of time off your own runs.  Don't think it went unnoticed!  This won't be your last marathon, together we're going to fill our walls with metals and bibs!

To Amy:  I know you've had a rough time the past month with your ankle issue, but I also know that you're a tough stubborn Page, just like the rest of them!  I have no doubt you'll finish.  Thank you for being supportive and encouraging for the past year.  Your excitement after I finished last year's marathon was a big part of why I wanted to do this again this year!  It's been great getting to know you better through training and let's make sure this isn't the last time the 3 of us are on the same team!

To Tedy's Team:  I cannot thank you enough for selecting me to be part of the team.  You've given me the opportunity to run in honor of my dad and accomplish things I never thought possible.  I'm thankful to have helped in raising so much $$ towards a good cause.  I've met a lot of great people and have learned a lot about myself.  As long as you'll let me, I'm going to keep coming back!

One last time... If any of you want to follow our progress text the word "runner" to 345678.  Then reply with our bib numbers: 22400 (me); 22401 (Kate); 22404 (Amy); 21677 (Tedy)!

Here's to Boston, finishing safely, and new PR!

No comments:

Post a Comment