Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Our failure sometimes leads to our greatest success...

Last week reminded me that anger, failure, and despair are all part of being human.  I had been doing really well with training and my overall attitude toward the marathon, work, and life in general, but it came to an abrupt end last week.  

It started with my heartbreak hill run a few Saturdays ago.  My training had been going great, but on what should have been a simple 11 mile run I could barely get my feet off the ground.  I ran with my orthodics for the first time, and it was a terrible idea.  My knee hurt for the first time in months and it turned out to be one of my longest runs to date.  I tried to pick myself back up with a short four miler on Sunday, but had to cut it down to two when my ankles were so sore that I could barely bend them.  That was followed by two more unsuccessful attempts to have a good run on Monday and Wednesday. 

The terrible training runs were (notice I put training in front of the word runs so Matt couldn't make a joke here) coupled with some building pressure at work and a difficult conversation with my parents to make for one hell of a week.  Work was a combination of feeling unappreciated and unsuccessful in a position I sometimes don't feel I'm the best fit for, while the conversation with my parents stemmed from a past blog I had wrote.

Here's where the title of my blog comes in today.  All of these things mounting up to a giant failure each had a turning point by the end of the week.  First, I was able to finally tell my parents where I was coming from with my running and get them to understand that I do this for my physical health, but as well for my mental health.  Running is my opportunity to get out and leave the stress of the work day or life in general behind.  They had an opportunity to read my past blog, and were hurt by some of my comments, but what they didn't get was the opportunity to read any of my previous postings.  I sent them my entire blog later in the week so they could understand the context of what it is I'm doing on here and why it's important to me.

Second, by some off chance just as I was feeling down about my job two of my adjusters come out of the wood work to thank me for all the hard work I've done for them over the past year and how much they've appreciated it.  Thank you!  Sometimes wether we know where doing a good job or not it's great to hear of the impact we can have.

Finally, on Thursday night I went for a five mile run with my friend Jack.  It was the first run in a week where my ankles didn't hurt, my foot wasn't sore, and I ran without any real discomfort.  I had some great conversation with him during the run that circles back to my confidence at work and how adjusters on other teams view me as well.  It was a great way to mentally prepare me for Saturday when I ran the best 18.67 miles of my life.  It started off difficult, but after about 4 or 5 miles I hit a stride that pushed me to the very end in record time.  It was an incredible feeling that really has my mind set on the ultimate prize - completing Boston in 4 hours time!

My 18 + miler put me in a better mood then I could have ever had asked.  I ended up out until 2am celebrating and woke up bright and early the next day with zero pain or soreness!  But like last week, there have already been ups and downs to this week.  Last night was mentally tough after having a 3 day weekend.  I just have to keep reminding myself it's all part of being human.

Finally - today's weigh in 182.5 and down to a new loop on the belt buckle.  Slow and steady...

No comments:

Post a Comment