Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thankful for the runs...

My friend Matt sent me an interesting article from active.com.  The title of the article leaves a little to be desired, but here's the first few sentences:  Running brings people together.  New running buddies can go from strangers to close friends in only a few days.

There's no doubt in my mind that that's the truth.  Since I started running I have gotten to know a number of great people.  Training for the Boston Marathon in 2011 introduced me to a fantastic group of individuals.  One of those runners, Bethany, helped me push through a difficult end to last years marathon. I was with her the moment I crossed the finish line, and I'll forever be thankful for her support.  I have no doubt in my mind Amy and I will provide the same support to each other this year and that Bethany will do the same for Katie.

Recently a co-worker of mine had reached out to me for guidance on training for a marathon.  During this time we started running together and he's no longer a co-worker (partly because he quit), but a close friend.  Our conversations went from how he could improve his stride and distance to talking about family, faith, some pretty big life decisions, and eventually to just good old fashion bullshit.  He's since started his journey back to his home state of California, but we've made a pact to run a marathon together in 2013.  I'm hopeful I was able to make his time away from home easier and provide him with some good advice.  I know I'm thankful to him for giving me a renewed confidence in myself at work and on the road.  It was the first time anyone has ever looked at me as somewhat of a mentor, and I think it was important for me to realize I impact people every day in my life at work and home.  Good luck Jack, and I'll see you soon my friend.

Running has the same impact on old friends.  Damien and I have been good friends since high school.  We've had some years that we've barely seen each other and some where we actually lived together, like our freshman year of college.  I can honestly say  I've gotten to know more about him in the past two years of running with him than the previous 13.  We're both lucky enough to have fantastic wives and children, but when we're out on the road running it's our chance to just open up.  I really appreciate that time and look forward to getting out there on a more frequent basis.

Then, there's Matt... good old Matt.  He's probably one of the best guys I could have ever asked to be a part of my family's life.  I didn't need running to get to know him, our relationship is pretty wide open.  Here's just a taste of how he tries to lift you up when you're down: "One of these days I am just going to punch you in the balls.  That will take care of all your frustrations and self-doubt.   After that you’ll have tons of confidence because you can say, I survived ball punching 2012."  Now is probably a good time to say the article I'm referencing is one that Matt sent me, and the title is "When Can I Talk about My Poop?: A Runner's Conversation Guide."  The answer, since day one.  Sorry Katie and Nina.

Finally, I wanted to just throw a shout out to a friend of mine that recently started the couch to 5k program.  I want her to know how incredibly proud I am of her.  She got the strength to open her own business in 2011 and is now working hard to get to where she wants to be in her personal life.  There's going to be ups and downs, but stick with it!

I may not have hundreds of Christmas cards to mail out each year, but I do have some pretty remarkable people in my life (not all named above).  Wether they're 3,000 miles away or just down the hill I'm incredibly grateful for the guidance, support, and complete insanity that comes from each of you.  I love running and I love that a hobby I'm so passionate about has given me the opportunity to form incredible bonds with people that I otherwise may not have.

Oh yeah - this weeks weigh in, I lost a half pound - 182.  7 weeks and 7 pounds to go...

More to come this week on my PR in the Hyannis Half Marathon!

    

2 comments: