Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pride, it's not just a deadly sin anymore...

So yesterday I wrote about a lot of people that mean a great deal to me and that have helped shape me into the man I am today.  I'm proud to call those people my friends and proud of all their accomplishments, but now I want to talk about me.

Today I want to write about one of the proudest moments in my life (aside from the day I feel in love with my baby girl and the joys that being a father will bring).  For those of you that have known me for a while you may recall that I've always said the proudest day of my life was the day I sank a reese's pieces into Katie's bottle of diet coke from across the room, and although I'm proud of that moment, it's not something I'll be bragging about years from now (although it has been 12 years and here I am writing about it).  I'm talking about the incredible run I had this past Sunday.

My first half marathon took place in San Diego (to which one day I will return to take on the full) back in 2007.  At the time I hated running, every mile was a struggle and I wanted nothing to do with it beyond this race.  At the time I weighed just over 200 pounds and finished the race in 2 hours and 22 minutes, which averages out to be about an 11 minute mile.  After returning from San Diego I stopped running for a while until taking on the Mayors Half Marathon in Anchorage Alaska in 2008.  This time my weight was still around 200 pounds, but I finished around 2 hours and 12 minutes, about a 10 minute mile.  It took a lot longer for me to hit the road again and I didn't run another organized race until the 2010 Falmouth Road Race.

This time I was running with a purpose.  I had a new baby girl and was out to set that positive example for her.  I signed up for the 2011 Boston Marathon and finished it in 4 hours 32 minutes.  When I finished the marathon I weighed in at 172 pounds and averaged about 10 minute 45 second miles.  After signing up for the 2012 Marathon I was determined to take time off my race.  I set a goal of 4 hours and 15 minutes, but over the past few weeks have come to realize I'm much stronger than I used to be and I'm ready for a real challenge.

That brings me to this past Sunday.  Running the half marathon I realized how far I had come.  What I once took a full season to train for was now nothing but a training run for a bigger prize.  I ended up finishing the race in 1 hour 48 minutes, and 8 minute 16 second pace!  It was an incredible feeling for me.  When I looked down at my watch as I was about a quarter mile from the finish line I couldn't believe I was coming in at under 1:50 and couldn't help but have the biggest grin across my face.  I couldn't wait to hug Katie and tell her my results.  I couldn't wait to get my phone and text my friends that I know are always cheering me on, and I couldn't wait to hit facebook and twitter with my accomplishment, I was proud and I still am.  And most of all, I'm ready to finish the Boston Marathon in less than 4 hours!  My original weight loss goal was to get back down to 172, but I know now that I've gained a lot of muscle that's making me realize maybe I am an athlete after all and that the number on the scale isn't the prize.

I know too much pride can be a bad thing, but right now it feels pretty damn good!

1 comment: